Otterblog

A record of the renovation of a
Wooden Drascombe Longboat 'Otter'


15th January 2007, The Transom Revisited

The tests on the Git-Rot, although not carried out correctly, made me rethink the transom.

Further investigation showed that rot extended down (the boat is upside down) the vertical plies. The horizontal plies are sound.

So I bit the bullet and cut away a big chunk of the transom until I reached sound ply.

I also removed all the ply from around the outboard well.

My initial plan to remove the rotten plies and replace with a GRP layup of cloth would still leave a weak area between the ply and the Iroko corner fillets. Effectively there would be no strength between them because of the rotten layer.

So I spent a day with chisel and mallet slowly chipping away at each layer of ply until I got to the glue lines.

 

Video on Youtube

<Previous Home Next>


Unless stated otherwise, Colin Watt 2006, 2007

Please read the disclaimer.


Last updated: 17 January, 2007