Otterblog

A record of the renovation of a
Wooden Drascombe Longboat 'Otter'


23rd August 2007. .Discovered more rot!

The mizzen mast is stepped on the aft deck and has four shrouds. It is rather difficult to set up so I decided to revert to the standard Drascombe design of putting the mast through a hole and stepping it on the keel.

A very nice man let me have a length of mast to splice on to my existing mast. To make the splice you need a fairly long plane. I used a Stanley No. 6 Fore Plane.

But when I cut the hole in the deck I found some rot in the ply. How I hadn't noticed it before I don't know. I had stripped the underside and repainted it. The top surface is covered with glass cloth so this hid the rot (again).

Time to start investigating the extent of the rot. I used what the Americans call an ice pick and prodded the surface until I found solid wood.

<Previous Home Next>


Unless stated otherwise, Colin Watt 2006, 2007

Please read the disclaimer.


Last updated: 10 September, 2007